Sunday, February 13, 2005

Lent

This year for lent I decided to try and incorporate exercise into my daily life. Before having a son I exercised regularly, 3-6 days a week. When he was born I decided to semi-retire from my routine so that I could work on being the stay at home dad. Now that I have been doing that for over a year it's time to try and incorporate exercise back into my life.
The reason I make it a lenten discipline is because exercise was typically a time of reflection, a time of meditation, a time of prayer for me. Plus, when you start exercising again, sometimes you need all the help you can to get you motivated and keep you motivated. I also need to do all I can to stay healthy. Being the spouse of a priest, we don't bring in major "moolaa". With the current administration, who knows if there will be any type of support for us when we get older. It's sad when we as a society can make advances and learn better ways to live and raise our children, but then, as a community or society, we do not use this knowledge to further advance our society. We have an administration that does not seem to believe in evolution but sure believes in survival of the fittest, or survival of the "richest".
You would think that from my post I am a democratic secularist. I'll set the record straight. I am a christian, of the Episcopal variety, who has a post-modern mind. I do not feel a lot of compassion coming from the republican party, but I'm not a registered democrat. I do not think that people of faith can or should seperate their ideology from their political action. That is why seperation of church and state is so difficult to maintain. Simply put, it is to keep the two entities from controling each other and to preserve peoples right to practice their own religion. But if our religion truely represents our belief system it represents the idea of how to live your life. It contains your value system. If you act conter to that value system, then you are acting conter to your proclaimed religiouns' beliefs.
I look to Jim Wallis as a good example for appling christian values to political action. We need to have a discussion first, to find some common ground and find what we can agree with. Then move out from there.

No comments: